MyPGx is a once-in-a-lifetime genetic test that can be used to identify how your individual genetic profile affects how you handle a wide range of medication. The result of this test allows for personalised drug therapy, ensuring optimal action and minimal side effects. Get tested. Take control of your health.
A once-in-a-lifetime comprehensive genetic test to determine life-long individual drug compatibility.
A comprehensive neurology-specific panel that determines your compatibility with neuropsychiatric drugs.
A pain-specific panel that determines your compatibility with analgesics (pain killers), anti-inflammatories and antipyretics (fever lowering drugs)
How it works
Order your test online, select, and pay for your preferred panel.
Collect your sample
Choose to have our medical team come in for home sample collection or visit a Synlab centre near you for your sample collection.
Review accurate results
Accurate and confidential results are available on your secure online Pathprovider account. You will get notified as soon as your results are available.
Get medical support
If you have any queries, please contact our 24-hour customer support centre at +234 700 7284 2273.
1 in 2
Patients suffering from cardiovascular disease and/or its major risk factors have poor adherence to their prescribed medications.
1 in 3
Patients with depression do not benefit from their medication
1 in 4
Reactions to common medications, including analgesics, are influenced by genetic variation.
What is PGx?
PGx is the study of how your genes may affect your body’s response to, and interaction with, some prescription or over-the-counter medications.
Genes, which are inherited from your parents, carry information that determines characteristics such as eye colour and blood type. Genes can also influence how you process and respond to medications.
Depending on your genetic makeup, some medications may work faster or slower or produce more or fewer side effects.
My PGx provides personalised information for the following classes of drugs
- Analgesics / Antirheumatic drugs (painkillers, anti-inflammatories)
- Antibiotics / Antivirals / Antimycotics (treatment of infections and infectious diseases)
- Antidepressants / Psychotropics
- Antidiabetic drugs
- Antihypertensives (high blood pressure)
- Anticoagulants (blood thinners)
- Cytostatics (chemotherapy)
- Proton pump inhibitors (acid reduction)
- Statins (cholesterol-lowering drugs)
- Urology drugs
Advantages of MyPGx
Once-in-a-lifetime genetic analysis
Provides a personal resource that may be consulted repeatedly
It helps you and your doctor to know how your body will respond to specific drugs.
Your doctor will be able to prescribe the optimal drug for you, thereby reducing trial and error.
You are likely to see a faster improvement in your condition.
You will experience fewer side effects.
What is being tested
Using PCR-based and Mass array assays, we examine a wide range of genes for the presence of all the common and rare variations shown by the most current scientific literature to have a clinically significant influence on drug metabolism.
Depending on the variant found in this study of your genes, your ability to metabolise specific groups of drugs will be classified as:
- Poor activity to Intermediate activity: There is a risk of no effect if drugs are not activated or of side effects due to excessive concentrations in the body.
- Normal activity: The drug works as intended with minimal side effects.
- Very high activity: There is an increased risk of side effects if drugs are activated too much or of reduced effect due to rapid elimination.
Discuss with your doctor
- Ask your doctor about the benefits and effectiveness of MyPGx for your condition.
- Once your sample is collected, results become available within six weeks. Your doctor/laboratory will receive your test results and will notify you directly.
- Ask your doctor to discuss your results with you, and s/he may choose to optimise your therapy based on the results.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are still unsure about this test, here are some questions that we usually get asked.
Still need answers?
Could a PGx test explain why my medication is not working?
The MyPGx panel analyses genes that are known to affect the metabolism of certain medications. If the test result illustrates that your genes are affecting your ability to metabolise certain medications, this may be the reason why the medications are ineffective.
What is the difference between pharmacogenetics and pharmacogenomics?
Pharmacogenetics is the study of genetic causes of individual variations in drug response, whereas pharmacogenomics deals with the simultaneous impact of multiple mutations in the genome that may determine the patient’s response to drug therapy.
Are there any risks to the test?
There is very little risk to having a blood test. You may have slight pain or bruise at the spot where the needle was put in, but most symptoms go away quickly.
When you get your test done with SYNLAB, you have access to our benefits.
PathProvider gives you direct access to all of your test results and reports across all your devices without having to leave your home.
Benefits of being a PathProvider registered user
- Your profile is a secure personal space
- Access your results any time, any day, all year round
- Results can be checked on any smartphone, computer, or tablet
- All your previous results are archived on your profile
- Set your notification preferences when results are ready. Choose email or SMS.
- Not a doctor? Switch to the popular ‘graphic view’ and get to understand your results.
- You can share or print your results directly from your profile.
Choose home collection.
Get complete convenience
Get your results as they become available online.
You can choose to get your entire family tested in the comfort of your own home. Choose a day and a time that is convenient for you, and we’ll send one of our trained professionals to your door.
No more sitting in traffic. Now you can manage your health in the comfort of your own home.
Award-winning medical diagnostics
Accuracy of results, reliability, trust, and quick turnaround time.
We are audited by an external body which ensures that we implement the highest ethical standards and international best practices.
SYNLAB was awarded the 'Private Laboratory Service Provider of the Year' in Nigeria award by the Nigeria Health Excellence Awards (NHEA).
Select the test that’s right for you
Our most advanced wellness panel. It gives a detailed assessment of liver function and structure, kidney structure and function, diabetes mellitus, thyroid function, bone health, blood disease, risk of heart and blood vessel disease, Immunity, urinary tract health, and illnesses associated with chronic inflammation.
It also checks for cervical and colon cancer.
Our most advanced wellness panel. It gives a detailed assessment of liver function and structure, kidney structure and function, diabetes mellitus, thyroid function, bone health, blood disease, risk of heart and blood vessel disease, immunity, urinary tract health, and illnesses associated with chronic inflammation.
It also checks for colon cancer and the risk of prostate cancer.