Liver diseases may not cause any specific signs or symptoms until it is advanced. Get tested. Take control of your health.
A blood panel in which the tests are conducted to assess the ability of the liver to perform its normal functions.
How it works
Order your test online, select, and pay for your preferred panel.
Collect your sample
Choose to have our medical team come in for home sample collection or visit a Synlab centre near you for your sample collection.
Review accurate results
Accurate and confidential results are available on your secure online Pathprovider account. You will get notified as soon as your results are available.
Get medical support
If you have any queries, please contact our 24-hour customer support centre at +234 700 7284 2273.
2 of 3
Of liver diseases in hospitalised patients in Nigerian hospitals are a direct result of liver cirrhosis and primary liver cancer.
Nigerians suffer from chronic hepatitis infections.
Nigeria has one of the highest rates of liver disease in the world. It’s ranked 21 out of 183 countries.
The liver is the largest solid organ in the body.
The liver is the largest solid organ in the body. It removes toxins from the body’s blood supply, maintains healthy blood sugar levels, regulates blood clotting, and performs hundreds of other vital functions. It is located beneath the rib cage in the right upper abdomen.
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Weight loss
- Jaundice (yellow skin and eyes)
- Discolored bodily discharge (dark urine or light stools)
- Abdominal pain
- Abnormal bruising or bleeding
- Swelling of the feet
- Swelling of the abdomen
Liver function tests can be used to:
- Screen for liver disease, such as infections like viral hepatitis
- Monitor the progression of a disease and determine how well a treatment is working
- Assess the severity of liver disease
- Monitor possible side effects of medications
- Alanine transaminase (ALT): ALT is an enzyme found inside the cells of the liver. When the liver cells are injured or die, more ALT amounts are released into the bloodstream, and levels increase.
- Aspartate transaminase (AST): AST is an enzyme that LT is an enzyme found inside the cells of the liver. When the liver cells are injured or die, more than usual ALT amounts are released into the bloodstream, and levels increase. Other cells have a significant amount of AST as well.
- Alkaline phosphatase (ALP): ALP is an enzyme found in the liver and bone. Higher-than-normal levels of ALP may indicate problems with the liver’s ability to remove waste substances from the body due to a blockage of the excretory channels in the liver. It could also be due to certain diseases of the bone..
- Albumin and total protein: The majority of the proteins present in the blood are manufactured by the liver. Albumin is the most abundant of these proteins. The proteins in the blood perform numerous functions, including helping to fight infections. Lower-than-normal levels of albumin and total protein may indicate liver damage or disease.
- Bilirubin: Bilirubin is a substance produced during the normal breakdown of red blood cells. The liver removes bilirubin from the body and passes it into the stool. Elevated bilirubin levels might indicate an increased rate of destruction of red cells or a disease limiting the liver’s ability to excrete them from the body.
- Gamma-glutamyltransferase (GGT): Higher-than-normal levels of GGT may indicate problems with the liver’s ability to remove waste substances from the body due to a blockage of the excretory channels in the liver. So. higher-than-normal levels may indicate liver or bile duct damage.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are still unsure about this test, here are some questions that we usually get asked.
Still need answers?
What causes liver disease?
There are many causes, such as drug and alcohol abuse, viruses, hereditary defects, reactions to drugs and chemicals, and hygiene, to name a few.
Can liver damage be reversed?
The liver can regenerate after injury. Most organs in the body replace damage with scar tissue, but the liver can replace damaged tissue with new cells. However, the long-term complications of liver disease occur when regeneration is incomplete or prevented by the progressive development of scar tissue within the liver.
What is cirrhosis?
This is a condition when the healthy cells of the liver are slowly replaced by scar tissue which reduces the ability of the liver to carry out its important functions.
When you get your test done with SYNLAB, you have access to our benefits.
PathProvider gives you direct access to all of your test results and reports across all your devices without having to leave your home.
Benefits of being a PathProvider registered user
- Your profile is a secure personal space
- Access your results any time, any day, all year round
- Results can be checked on any smartphone, computer, or tablet
- All your previous results are archived on your profile
- Set your notification preferences when results are ready. Choose email or SMS.
- Not a doctor? Switch to the popular ‘graphic view’ and get to understand your results.
- You can share or print your results directly from your profile.
Choose home collection.
Get complete convenience
Get your results as they become available online.
You can choose to get your entire family tested in the comfort of your own home. Choose a day and a time that is convenient for you, and we’ll send one of our trained professionals to your door.
No more sitting in traffic. Now you can manage your health in the comfort of your own home.
Award-winning medical diagnostics
Accuracy of results, reliability, trust, and quick turnaround time.
We are audited by an external body which ensures that we implement the highest ethical standards and international best practices.
SYNLAB was awarded the 'Private Laboratory Service Provider of the Year' in Nigeria award by the Nigeria Health Excellence Awards (NHEA).
Select the test that’s right for you
Our most advanced wellness panel. It gives a detailed assessment of liver function and structure, kidney structure and function, diabetes mellitus, thyroid function, bone health, blood disease, risk of heart and blood vessel disease, Immunity, urinary tract health, and illnesses associated with chronic inflammation.
It also checks for cervical and colon cancer.
Our most advanced wellness panel. It gives a detailed assessment of liver function and structure, kidney structure and function, diabetes mellitus, thyroid function, bone health, blood disease, risk of heart and blood vessel disease, immunity, urinary tract health, and illnesses associated with chronic inflammation.
It also checks for colon cancer and the risk of prostate cancer.
Analysis of 90 genetic variants present in 65 genes and 17 biochemical parameters
This test uses your genetic and biochemical profile to help to identify your unique nutritional needs for optimal health and disease prevention.